Scholarships will be awarded to three (3) 2017 graduating high school seniors to assist them in their pursuit of a college education. In addition, MEF will award scholarships to persons between the ages of 25 to 40 who delayed their college education, for personal or financial reasons, and have now decided to pursue a college degree. We believe awarding college scholarships to these adults addresses our mission to economically strengthen our communities.
Special consideration will be given to those students pursuing a career in the health sciences, pharmaceutical science, technology, entertainment (film, television), insurance, automotive, environmental science, banking and law.
The scholarship program is open to persons residing throughout greater Los Angeles County, with specific emphasis on the underserved communities of Lynwood, Compton, Carson, Gardena, Hawthorne and, Lawndale.
Interviews with HUF Scholarship Recipients
MABLE EPHRIAM NURSING SCHOLARSHIP
A special scholarship will be awarded to a student pursuing a career in nursing. The Nursing scholarship will be awarded in memory of Judge Mablean’s mother, Mable Ephriam, who died on February 9, 2010. She was a nurse by vocation.
This Scholarship will be awarded to any person between the ages of 18 years and 35 years, a 2015 High School Graduate or a Continuing College Student, who is pursuing a degree in nursing and has completed at least one year in a nursing program. The applicant must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, whether high school graduate or current college student. The Applicant must display compassion for the sick and elderly and must have demonstrated the same, either by providing care for a relative, friend or by volunteer work in a hospital, a residential care facility, convalescent home, or skilled nursing facility.
The Scholarship will be ongoing and available to the recipient each year of enrollment until the completion of his/her nursing degree as long as the recipient meets the qualifications outlined above.
BERNICE JONES NURSING SCHOLARSHIP
Given in memory of and funded by the Bernice Jones Family. Bernice Jones was a nurse and a nursing instructor. Scholarships are awarded to students enrolled in the Nursing program at St. Francis Hospital, Lynwood, Calif.
HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE
This scholarship will be awarded to a current year high school graduate to assist them in their pursuit of a college education
HOWARD UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship will be awarded to a current year high school graduate who will be attending Howard University in the fall. It is funded by Howard University Alumni who is a MEF board member.
THOMAS JEFFERSON HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1967 SCHOLARSHIP
Scholarships will be awarded to a current year Thomas Jefferson High School (1319 E. 41st St. Los Angeles, CA) graduate. It is funded by the TJHS Class of 1967 Alumni of which the President/Founder is a member.
CONTINUING COLLEGE STUDENT
MEF will award scholarships to persons between the ages of 25 to 40 who delayed their college education, for personal or financial reasons, and have now decided to pursue a college degree. To qualify you must have completed at least one semester of a college course.
In order to qualify for a scholarship from the MABLEAN EPHRIAM FOUNDATION, YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Annual Family Income must be at or below federal poverty guidelines.
- Must reside in Los Angeles County.
- Must complete a typed essay as set forth on the Application.
- Must attend the Honoring Unsung Fathers Awards and Scholarship Brunch on Father’s Day.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent ( i.e., G.E.D., diploma).
CURRENT HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES:
- Must have an overall academic G.P.A. of 2.0 or better.
- Must have been involved in some type of community activity or extra-curricula activity which allowed you to contribute your time, talent and or resources to serving others.
APPLICANTS 25 TO 40 YEARS:
- Must have had at least a 2.0 G. P. A. or better in high school.
- If G.E.D. diploma, must have passed the G.E.D. examination.
- If attending college, must have a G.P.A. of 2.0 or better the last academic year attended. And must have completed at least one semester of a college course.
- Must be employed now or if unemployed, no more than one (1) year,
unless you are a stay-at-home parent with at least one minor child five (5) years old or under.
- Must be involved in some type of community activity, group or organization which renders
service to others.
- In addition to the above requirements, please tell us what you have been doing with your life since high school graduation, Explain what hindered or prevented you from attending college after high school and what motivates you to do so now.